The University of Derby: Your future, your choice
The University of Derby is an ambitious, innovative and modern university offering real world learning experience that is of the highest standard. Studying with us enhances your career prospects, raises your professional status, broadens your global outlook and gives you a great sense of personal achievement.
We have been awarded ‘Gold’ – the top rating – in the UK’s first-ever Teaching Excellence Framework, placing us in the top 20% in the country. We are also proud to be named among the top 27 international institutions in the Global Teaching Excellence Awards and as the top 20 UK university for teaching quality in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017. Second most recommended modern university in the 2016 International Student Barometer (ISB).
Our focus: your employability
We put students on the path to their dream career: 81.1% of our international graduates secure jobs or further study within six months. (DELHE 2015). Your course will equip you with academic knowledge, practical experience and ‘soft’ skills, such as communication and leadership, which are sought by employers worldwide. We offer extensive careers advice for up to three years after you have graduated too.
Your course will be up to date, industry-relevant and engaging. We specialize in real world learning, which means you will benefit from our strong employer links, courses with professional accreditation and projects where you can apply theory to practice. There are opportunities for you to go on placements and internships so that you can gain vital insights into the world of work and add impact to your CV.
Center of it all
In the heart of the UK, the University of Derby is easily accessible by road, rail and air. Our main campuses are located in the vibrant city of Derby and the Peak District spa town of Buxton. They are friendly, culturally diverse and safe places, with high standards of living and prices much cheaper than in bigger cities. Offering a great social life when you need it but a relaxed, calm atmosphere when you need to concentrate, they are the ideal setting to enjoy your university experience to the full.
We have two campuses: Derby and Buxton
Derby is our city campus. Since the days of the Industrial Revolution, Derby has inspired thinkers and makers who have changed the world. Today it is a leading hi-tech and cosmopolitan city, home to global names such as Rolls-Royce, Toyota and Bombardier. The workforce commands UK’s highest average salary outside London and the South-East. Buxton is on the other hand, set amid the gorgeous Derbyshire countryside, the spa town of Buxton is renowned for its striking architecture, festival culture and intriguing history. Our campus centers on the magnificent Devonshire Dome, a heritage attraction that dominates the townscape.
Our world-class learning environment makes Derby an inspiring place to study. We have invested £ 150 million in state-of-the-art facilities over the last ten years. Some highlights include:
- £ 12m STEM Center: Our Engineering, Technology and Computing Students will discover a full range of high-quality industry-standard facilities in the new extension to our Markeaton Street site, which opens its doors by HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex on September 27 2017 The building contains a wind tunnel, an anechoic chamber, advanced cyber security laboratories and two advanced network laboratories. An accessible roof space will also open up new opportunities for teaching communications technology and sustainable engineering, such as renewable energy systems and water harvesting.
- Fashion and Textiles studio spaces: We have opened an exciting new learning space for our Fashion and Textile students in Chandos Pole Street, close to our Markeaton Street site. It features light and airy open plan studio spaces.
- Derby Theater: We are one of UK’s only universities to own and run a professional production theater, fostering the next generation of theater makers while staging critically acclaimed productions.
- Forensic Training Facility: Our custom-built ‘Crime Scene House’ features seven replica domestic and commercial scenes, a blood spatter analysis room and a fully panoramic CCTV and audio. We also have two crime scene cars.
- The Devonshire Spa: Our award-winning spa and proud winner of the ‘Luxury Emerging Spa in Northern Europe’ at the World Luxury Spa Awards 2017 includes sauna, aroma steam room, hydrotherapy pool, ice fountain, monsoon shower, reflexology foot baths and hammam .
A wide choice of degree programs
The University of Derby boasts a wide-ranging course portfolio, with a selection of subjects that are among the most comprehensive in the UK. Each course features exciting opportunities for you to gain professional work experience alongside your studies, so you will graduate with all the hands-on skills that employers are looking for today. Choose from subject areas including:
Art and Design, including Graphic Design and Illustration
Film and Media Production
Business, including the MBA Global
Tourism and Hospitality
Counseling and Psychotherapy
Keep your options open with Joint Honors
Can not decide between two subjects you feel passionate about? Want a versatile degree that really sets you apart from the rest? A Joint Honors degree could be the ideal choice. Joint Honors give you the opportunity to study two subjects as one undergraduate degree – and at Derby the choice of subject combinations is wider than at most other universities. Choose from combinations such as Criminology and Psychology, Theater Studies and Education Studies, Business Management and Photography.
Interested in finding out more?
University of Derby – International Team